Few people know that the largest brick castle in the world is in Poland. Built in Malbork (Marienburg) in several stages from 1280 to the mid-15th century by the Teutonic Order, it was for a long time the capital of the monastic state. Malbork castle has been on the UNESCO World Heritage List since 1997. Currently, two historical outbuildings of the outer castle are being reconstructed. The restored buildings are part of the economic chain that has been established since the 14th century.
Different use over the centuries
The buildings have served different purposes over the centuries: at the end of the 18th century, it was converted into the seat of the courts and the military commissariat (supply department). Then the church of St. Lawrence was desacralized, which closes the economic route from the south and is its oldest part. After 1945, the economic route of Malbork Castle was devastated and, except for the mentioned old church, it has been preserved to a large extent as a permanent ruin.
In February 2021, the project of restoration and partial reconstruction of economic buildings and their adaptation to cultural and educational functions began. By the end of the preservation and construction works in 2024, the Economic Route will house a library, conservation workshops, a digitization workshop, and the Center for the Study of Teutonic Heritage.