We are proud that, based on our wide production network, we can ensure close customer proximity, use local supply chains, and establish a highly resilient value chain. This enables us to reduce CO2 emissions due to short transportation distances, be part of local economies and jointly develop supply structures with preferred local suppliers. We are a leading European building materials provider of sustainable, efficient, and affordable solutions.
But we are also aware that we must go further regarding the environmental, social and governance issues. “From health and safety to climate and environment we are aware that Xella and our wider sector must go far quickly,” our CEO Christophe Clemente is quoted in our latest ESG report.
What we are up to:
The past two years were characterized by undertaking to sharpen our ESG focus, creating the ESG roadmap to map the journey to our goals. We continued to develop and mature the practices to implement the strategy and respond to priorities. We recognized that a key part in improvements in 2022 must be to uplift the quality of date in some areas. “It is our mission to design energy-efficient, cost-effective, and sustainable construction, housing and living. And by setting clear targets on CO2 emissions, resource conservation, diversity, and equal opportunities, our ESG Strategy provides the blueprint to achieve that mission,” says Cécile Fages, Chief Sustainability and Communication Officer at Xella.
So, what are our priority areas of focus this year:
- Continuing to focus on reducing CO2 emissions
- Striving for more circularity of our products so that we eliminate the fact that we send leftover production to landfill
- Continuing to build our dedicated ESG Department to drive progress across our company
- Further activity to uplift the granularity and quality of our ESG data
- Working to upgrade our Compliance Management System
- Providing our employees with a safe and healthy workplace and be attractive as an employer in a very tense market
- Extending our Total Safety Leadership program to more employees and across all local languages
- Continuing to build the number of clients using our digital tools
- Publishing a medium target for the reduction of our Scope 3 emissions and beginning our work with suppliers to implement it
- Continuing to fund the research and innovation that is helping create the building materials of the future
Check out our latest Sustainability Report where we go deeper: Xella Sustainability Report 2021